Friday, January 30, 2009

Love is a Sacrifice

"There's one up there in that tree!"

It felt like we were characters in a fantasy novel discovering a mythical creature that only the truly valiant could see! 

I held my breath and crept closer, camera in hand, hoping to be unnoticed by the elusive animal. This was a once in a lifetime sort of experience for most people...and this was my second time to see one! But more importantly, it was the first one my daughter Sharon had ever seen! And she had wanted so much to see a Quetzal.

~~~~~

Back in 2000 I went on a missions trip to Costa Rica with Doe River Gorge. In the area of the camp that we were working with they jokingly claimed that "There are so many Quetzals here...we eat them for breakfast!" 

I was particularly interested in seeing a Quetzal because, in all my time as a missionary in Guatemala, I had never seen one of these magnificent birds even though it is the national bird of Guatemala. It actually became a joke among the team members because I was so eager to find one. I even prayed (out loud with the group!) for one! At the time it felt like a selfish prayer, but the Lord answered and brought one to me that same morning. 

Since then, I've wondered at the reason the Lord granted my request for seeing a "silly" bird. It really wasn't all that important in view of eternity but He did it anyway. 

I think I kind of understand now.

You see, I just got back in January from our most recent missions trip to Costa Rica. This was the fourth time that I've been there with Doe River Gorge. But this time, I had the great privilege of bringing Sharon with me. She had heard my story of God showing me a Quetzal and told me that she wanted to see one too. I began to pray that she would. This was once again a stretch in faith for me because, in the last two trips to Costa Rica, I hadn't seen any at all. I had some doubts that we would see any this time either.

An opportunity arose to see some in an area near the camp. We would have to skip out on the work for the morning to do it. I felt uncomfortable getting out of work just to go birdwatching but I decided that I would do whatever it took so that Sharon would have her desire met. Off we went.

We saw FOUR...and we were able to get REALLY close to them!

I imagine that the Lord gets excited when He sees His children delight in His gifts to them. I'm sure this is true because I felt some of that same excitement as Sharon enjoyed His gift to her. I was happy for her because of my love for her.

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Matthew 7:11 NIV

As much as I love and am ready to sacrifice for my daughter just to see her joy, how much more has our Father loved and sacrificed for us? He has created the world for us and He sacrificed His Son for us. 

He deserves the glory for it all...and He enjoys the joy we get through His gifts of goodness and love toward us.

~ Jefe

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you believe in miracles?

jefe said...

Yes.

I certainly believe that God answers prayer. He sometimes does this to meet our needs and sometimes to meet our desires.

I would call this providence as in:

(Theol.) A manifestation of the care and superintendence which God exercises over his creatures; an event ordained by divine direction.

He that hath a numerous family, and many to provide for, needs a greater providence of God. --Jer. Taylor.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)